We know that culture is key to the success of a business, so our strong cultural values lead the way we build our team. SGH focuses on collaboration and puts decisive, disruptive innovation at the top of the pyramid. We are passionate about what we do, and we’re always looking for talented individuals who are as motivated as we are.
If you are a passionate, solution-driven, out-of-the-box thinker that thrives on results, we’d love to hear from you. SGH offers a welcoming, motivating environment where you’ll be surrounded by entrepreneurial-minded people who always give 110%.
We know that our team creates the foundation of our success, so taking care of our team members is one of our top priorities. When you join the SGH family, you will be rewarded with some great benefits and perks:
- Competitive salary and benefits including paid holidays, PTO, healthcare, flex spending account, 401k, life insurance and legal policies
- Additional days off for your birthday, a floating holiday and volunteering with an organization of your choice
- Pet insurance for your furry family members
- Free covered parking*
- Free snacks (and sometimes lunches)
- Modern downtown Birmingham office in walking distance to multiple restaurants and shops*
*Birmingham, MI offices only
Legal Secretary/Executive Administrative Assistant
The Legal Secretary / Executive Administrative Assistant will have responsibility for supporting the Simon Group Holdings (“SGH”) Legal Department, including the General Counsel, Assistant General Counsel, Corporate Attorney and Senior Paralegal. Areas of focus will be assisting and supporting the legal department with corporate and real estate transactions, litigation, management of files and corporate records, and maintenance of state licenses and qualifications. The Legal Secretary/Executive Administrative Assistant will have significant interaction with management of SGH and its business units, external counsel and business partners.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Support and assist the legal department, including the General Counsel, Assistant General Counsel, Corporate Attorney and Senior Paralegal.
- Support SGH transactions, including initial intake of contract requests, review and drafting, internal process for executing, and filing of executed agreements.
- Assist with entity formation; entity dissolution; entity foreign qualifications and DBAs, and obtaining EINS.
- Ordering title and UCC searches.
- Real estate title and survey review.
- Preparing basic corporate and real estate transaction documents, including confidentiality agreements, deeds, and closing documents.
- Work independently to perform a variety of complex legal, administrative, clerical and secretarial duties, many of which are confidential in nature, with a high degree of skill and accuracy.
- Assist in-house counsel with the preparation of real estate, as well as merger and acquisition documents, including purchase agreements, leases, loan and security agreements, and joint venture agreements (such as partnership agreements and limited liability agreements).
- Document Management, including organizing, managing and maintaining comprehensive corporate records and transaction files.
- Support litigation, claims management and insurance matters for Legal Department, including discovery responses, document searches and production, discovery deadlines, and possess overall familiarity of the litigation process.
- Type accurately from dictation.
- Assist with management and oversight of outside counsel expense, including budgeting, review, processing and payment of law firm and expert witness invoices, preparation of outside counsel engagement letters and monitoring of outside counsel expense.
- Thorough understanding of the Legal Tracker legal expense software is strongly preferred.
- Prepare meeting minutes, resolutions, other corporate governance documents.
- Prepare correspondence, documents, presentations, and training materials.
- Provide high level clerical and administrative support to in-house attorneys and paralegal, including maintaining attorneys’ calendars, opening and distributing mail, coordinating all details of meetings/calls/conferences, preparing expense statements, assisting with electronic data rooms, email and file management, creating and maintaining files, organization of management of files, record keeping, preparing records for off-site storage, maintaining an accurate inventory of files.
- Photocopying, scanning, and faxing, as needed.
- Preparing U.S. mail and using a postage machine, preparing UPS packages, and other general administrative office duties as required.
- Assist with the management of certain regulatory filings, permits and licensing, including state corporate registrations, business licenses and permits and registrations with other regulatory agencies.
- Fill in for the front desk receptionist on afternoons and at other times as needed, answering the front door, answering the main office telephone, and performing general office duties.
Education / Experience / Skill-set:
- Minimum of 7 years of directly-related legal experience, strong preference to candidates who have both corporate transactional and litigation experience.
- Proficiency in MS office (exceptional Word, Excel and Outlook skills), and PowerPoint.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Impeccable spelling, grammar, and proofreading ability in English.
- Detail-oriented work style.
- Highly organized methodology.
- Proactive mindset.
- Highly motivated / self-starter personality.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced and quickly changing environment, and effectively prioritize responsibilities.
- Ability to meet deadlines and remain cool under pressure.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information.
- Demonstrate good judgment to balance working independently with knowing when to ask for direction.
- Experience at typing from dictation.
- Typing speed of > 60 wpm preferred.
Mental and Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Ability to sit (or stand at a standing desk) for prolonged periods.
- Ability to communicate verbally, on the telephone, in person, and in writing.
- Ability to hear dictated recordings for the purposes of transcription.
- Ability to use hands and wrists as needed for keyboarding for prolonged periods.
- Must be able to adapt to frequently changing work priorities.
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration. We look forward to learning about you!
Get in Touch
Interested in joining our team? Fill out the form below so we can learn more about you. If we see a potential fit, a team member will be in touch soon!